About Webb’s Candies
In 1942, at the age of nineteen, Paul Webb married his childhood sweetheart, Nadine Henderson, whom he had courted since First Grade, and together they began the business that has today become Webb’s Year Round Resort.
On May 1, 1942, Paul Webb purchased their first business, the Fountainette in Mayville, NY, It was an ice cream shop and restaurant. Unfortunately, their proprietorship was short lived. After only one month of marriage, Paul was drafted by the Army and served under General Patton with the 3rd Army anti-aircraft artillery unit in France and Germany.
While Paul served these three years in the army, Nadine and his mother Blanche kept the business running. When Paul returned from the war, his business was already a success. In 1946, a barn behind the Fountainette was purchased and became the Webb’s first start at candy making. In a three weeks time period, Paul learned the art of candy making. The business was a success overnight. Lollipops, thousands of large lollipops, now known as “all-day suckers,” made for a booming business – sometimes making 5,000 lollipops a day.
During the 1950’s, Paul and Nadine opened a series of small restaurants in Hartfield, Westfield, and Dunkirk, NY. In 1959, they purchased the Mooring Bit Restaurant in Mayville. This property eventually became the Webb’s Captain’s Table Restaurant, which was constructed in 1965. A bowling alley was also added to the existing property.
Shortly after, a new addition was built providing room for Chautauqua souvenirs and candy to be sold. All of the candies are still made by hand, the old-fashioned copper kettle method. The gift shop now includes a wide variety of Chautauqua souvenirs as well as gifts for all occasions.
As the success of Webb’s Candies and Restaurant continued to thrive, so did the expansion of the Webb’s family business. In 1968, Webb’s Resort was built followed by Webb’s Citrus Candies in Davenport, Florida four years later and Webb’s Coppertop Restaurant in Lake Wales, Florida in 1976. The Coppertop Restaurant was operated for several years by Paul and Nadine and was sold in 1985. The youngest of their children, John Webb, is now the owner and operator of Webb’s Citrus Candies.
The Webb’s business continued to prosper until 1992 when a fire destroyed the bowling lanes and part of the Captain’s Table Restaurant. At this time, the Webb’s decided not to rebuild the bowling alley; a furniture and antique shop occupies that space today. The Captain’s Table Restaurant, now owned and operated by Jim and Sally Webb, includes five dining rooms, banquet and conference rooms, and an open deck on the second floor.
In 1994 when twenty-six new rooms were added to the existing motel. It is now a 52-unit motel with rooms with two double beds, king beds, some adjoining rooms, as well as rooms with fireplaces, private balconies, and jacuzzi. The last addition, so far, was the miniature golf course in 2003.
Although Paul and Nadine Webb have passed, the business continues to expand and prosper. Webb’s continues to be a family owned and operated business.